Tuesday 22 July 2008

Wedding Corsage - Complete!

This is what I have been working on for the past couple of weeks - could you guess from the bits in yesterday's post? It's a commission through Etsy for a wrist-band corsage in the style of my 'Country Garden' handbag.
The search for more of this yarn was entertaining - nowhere in Britain seemed to have any of it, neither could I find it on the internet. I thought I was going to have to use a replacement yarn which wouldn't have had the same effect at all. Finally I e-mailed Adriafil in Italy and asked if they could possibly sell me some directly and within 5 days I had a lovely big parcel of it in my hands.
So I have knitted a wristband in green, sewn it on to canvas for strength and then lined it with cotton fabric. It is fastened with 4 tiny hooks & eyes.


I've crocheted the flowers in pink, orange and white, and this time even crocheted a life-like green back to each flower, stuffed with a little kapok to make it as real in shape as possible, with a crochet stalk. I've knitted leaves and given them stalks too. I then used fabric stiffener to shape the flowers and leaves (see the mess they looked in my previous post!!) After 24 hours waiting for the stiffener to dry, today I could finally sew it all together which was actually a lot easier than I thought - now the flowers retain their shape the construction was simple. I also added a couple of curly crocheted tendrils and a ladybird nestling in one of the daisies.


Finally, I tied some orange organza and some thin green satin ribbons in a bow around the stalks which hang down prettily. I am so pleased with how it has turned out - fresh and funky and a little bit different. Now I have to wait and see if the bride in question approves!!

4 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

It's amazing! Really, really pretty. I am sure the bride in question will love it. It looks like a flower bouquet. Really cool!

Sallie said...

How lovely! I never would have guessed you were making a wedding corsage from the previous photo. It really is pretty.

Gretel said...

You are so clever and this is so lovely! Fudge fingers that I am, I look at this with awe, and enjoyment. And nice that these flowers will last much longer than any real wedding flowers.

natural attrill said...

This is amazing Caroline!
lovely, lovely..
P.x