Monday 18 August 2008

Latest Etsy Commission - Complete!

The interesting thing about commissions of any sort is being made to think outside your comfort zone. Now potholders, let alone highly decorated ones, would not be something I would think of making normally, but I got the above commission from a lovely American lady (who I made the wedding corsage for) and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I started using the same daisy motifs as for the corsage - because she liked them - grouped with a few leaves in a decorated pot, all crocheted and appliqued onto an ecru base.


Then I got a bit daring (got a new book on how to crochet flowers and fell in love with the pansy design!) and made some bright pansies with different leaves and attached them inthe same manner.

Finally, I tried a different way of making groups of leaves on a stalk which looked very effective, and put simple little five petalled flowers with French knots for centres scattered over the leaves.

All three are crocheted in cotton yarn, and have scalloped edges as requested with a corner loop for hanging - I believe these are for decoration rather than to be used to pick up hot pots!

If there is anything you'd like me to crochet for you, just let me know - I'm open to suggestions!

3 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Not my cup of tea, but they are pretty and I can see all the hard work and design that has gone into them. I particularly like the pansies. All the flowers are really, really pretty.

Well done you! I hope the American lady loves them. :-)

I agree about the 'thinking outside your comfort zone'. That is a good thing for an artist. It's actually the thing I like best - the problem solving. :-)

Sallie said...

These are fun. As madpie magic said, not my cup of tea, but hopefully your client will like them.

Laura Sparling said...

Beautiful pansies!