Tuesday 28 October 2008

...Matching Wristwarmers

Here are the matching wristwarmers to the cabled collar. They took longer than anticipated, mainly due to my lack of concentration. I thought it would be a good idea to knit them both at once on the same pair of needles using two balls of wool. So far so good....then I got half way through and realised I was making two right-hand wristwarmers. Hmmmm...
So then I had to make two left-hand wristwarmers, but on the plus side, this means I get a pair of these to keep and one for Etsy. They got their first outing today, a very cold and frosty morning. I discovered that not only are they very warm indeed, the design leaves your hands completely free - terrific for dog-walking. The large frills over the hands seem to keep the heat trapped, and as the only restraint is a thumbhole, you have full movement of your fingers.
So I would thoroughly recommend them - and they look fab, like woolly evening gloves!

On the downside, it may have been a very pretty frosty morning, but it has meant the demise of half my garden. There was a profusion of nasturtiums, busy-lizzies, even sweet-peas (yes, I know it is October!). I had three large Echiums that I have cultivated from seed which were looking like they might eventually reach their full 12 ft maturity. Now it all looks like a giant has had a big snotty sneeze over everything, all slimy green and half dead. At least I had the foresight to move the two banana trees to relative safety against the house wall and they seem to have made it through the night. Sometimes I wonder whether it's worth being a gardener...

2 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Wow! They're so cute. Really love them. Would like them even better in black. LOL Or maybe very dark red?

natural attrill said...

I love the way the design comes down over the hand.
Penny.