Sunday 23 November 2008

Beachcomber Chic!

SOLD!
I've been picking up yarn from all over the place lately - the above scarf was made from some gorgeous discontinued Rowan yarn called Seashore that I bought on e-Bay. It is a sort of tubular cotton net with a cord attached and put me in mind of fishermen's nets. So I knitted a simple garter stitch scarf on huge wooden needles while threading shells, beads and wooden fish on to the yarn so they are incorporated into the knit. I then knotted a fringe on to each end, adding more flotsam and jetsam and knotting the strands into a net pattern, but also leaving it a bit random. It has turned out rather special - it puts me in mind of something a character in Waterworld might wear!
The above beret is made from an Adriafil yarn called Baba that I bought at I Knit in London. It's a pattern I made up as I went along! The yarn is very thick and slubby, nice and warm and in lovely autumnal colours.

Both items will be in my Etsy shop shortly.

I visited Pack Lane Yarns in Basingstoke yesterday on the hunt for another ball of Kidsilk Night to finish a project started from a ball I picked up on e-Bay - with no success. Trust me to pick another discontinued yarn...I did find some elsewhere on the internet though. And did not leave the shop empty-handed....how could I?

4 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Very pretty. Love the way you've knitted the scarf with a simple loose garter stitch and added the shells and fishies. Great minds think alike, I've almost finished a waves scarf.

The hat looks like fun. The colours are so bright and intense. Very autumnal. :-)

The kidsilk is a lovely yarn it looks so pretty. It's what I used on my wild rose scarf. :-)

natural attrill said...

Hi Caroline,
That scarf is lovely, I like all the little bits and bobs that you have incorporated into it.
P.x

Laura Sparling said...

The scarf is fab - what a wonderful idea!

MrsB said...

Oh what fun pieces. I love how whimsical the scarf is and how colorful the hat is. Very fine and well made :)