Monday 25 January 2010

New Growth...


We started clearing away some of the snow-caused debris from the garden over the weekend and it made me so happy to see lots of bulbs starting to poke their bright green shoots out of the pots and flower beds. It always cheers me up in these drab winter months to see a sign that Spring is slowly coming and we shall have lots of daffodils and whatever else I have planted out there blooming soon. I'm a bit of a haphazard gardener - I never remember from one year to the next just what I have planted where!

The potato-painting marathon is now officially over - I went to see all one hundred paintings displayed all together at the author's house yesterday. Took me aback slightly to see just how much work I have done over the past year and a half - I'm also always a bit surprised to see that what I have painted actually closely resembles what it is supposed to. When you haven't seen a painting you have done for over a year, it feels a bit like someone else did it. Out of 100 paintings, only three need some minor modification, which should take an afternoon or two - not bad going! The book should be ready for publication in the Spring, complete with a book launch - now it's getting exciting.

So now I am free...and a bit at a loose end! I've had non-stop commissioned work since 2008 and now I have to choose for myself what I want to paint (until the next commission) which I seem to have got out of the habit of. It's hard to resist the temptation to sit and watch tv drinking tea and eating biscuits - for goodness sake, someone give me something to do!

2 comments:

Gretel said...

Isn't it lovely to feel that spring is not too far away! I am sure you will have to hear lots of comments about being 'sick of potatoes' at the book launch, but it was a Herculean task.

(PS, polytunnel -> tomatos, to hopefully avoid blight when we get our typically rainy summer).

Magpie Magic said...

Hooray!!! The potatoes are done. I am so happy for you. :-) What a mammoth task but now it's almost done. 3 changes out of a hundred images is NOTHING! :-)

I know what you mean about the signs of Spring. I love it when you drive along and suddenly everything seems to turn green and those first shoots make your heart glad because you know Winter is almost done.... Can't wait!!! x