Friday 5 March 2010

White Lace, Roses & An Exotic Bloom



A couple of months ago, I started a scarf/shawl in white lace-weight pure merino yarn but it got put to one side as I had other more urgent projects to complete and also I was having trouble seeing what I was doing, particularly whilst I was ill.



This week it was time to finally finish this little beauty - it's not a shawl, more of a lace scarf. The yarn is so delicate that this is as light as air and soft as a cloud. It will be up for sale on Etsy shortly.


I've also been working on a small painted box - the design was based on my Valentine's Day bouquet, although I have added the tiny blue flowers as a bit of artistic licence. This has been painted in acrylics, given three coats of varnish and now awaits a pale green silk lining. Once that has been put into place, this will also be in my Etsy shop.


Once again I have managed to grow a humongous tropical flower, although this did not take nearly as much effort as my Bird of Paradise plant. I was given this Amaryllis for Christmas and it is the first time I have grown one of these - it was just a matter of keeping it watered & in sunlight and watching the magic happen. Each flower here is about the size of a soup plate, and you can just see the tip of a second bud coming up fast behind. I can't capture the richness of it's redness with the camera, but you get the idea!

2 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Love, love all of it! LOL

The lace scarf is gorgeous - it looks so fluffy and sumptious and soft.

The box is so cute. Perfect to for keepsakes and treasure. :-)

I love amaryllis, they're gorgeous and fairly easy to grow, far less trouble than some flowers. :-)

Soggibottom said...

Scarf really does look fantastic.
As for the Amaryllis. They are beautiful aren't they. Really bold flowers. I have heard that you have to dust them with a paint brush to keep the flower going longer :-)
Beautiful work Caroline, the reason why I always come back to see quality. x x x