Friday 27 August 2010

"Leave Me Alone!"


.........is what I think this cat is saying! This is the painting I have been working on this week, based on a photograph of Mew by Midge from Soggibottom. I had no commissions so wanted to keep myself busy and this was a lot of fun. It is painted in watercolour with a very fine brush and a great deal of patience. I discovered that working on thick cartridge paper was a very nice background as it held on to the paint enabling me to work over colour without washing it away.

Since completing that yesterday, I now have three horse portraits to paint - it's always either feast or famine!

Just heard that my paintings did not get in to the Society of Wildlife Artists exhibition up in London - I had no high expectations there so am not too disappointed - at least I know I was rejected fair and square!


This is Curly, a little pup I knitted last night - that's fast going, to complete one in an evening! He'll be kitted out and up for sale eventually.


In the meantime, he's getting to know Eldritch.....ah, look he wants to play.......

...EEK! NO CURLY! Naughty boy, put him down! If you want to save poor Eldritch from such indignities, he is still up for grabs in my giveaway which will drawn on 31st August. Click here to put your name down and be in with a chance.

6 comments:

Soggibottom said...

Mew, mew, mew, mew, mew, mew, mew, mew.....
luv MEW :-) x x x

WoolenSails said...

I love the painting of Mew, it is gorgeous and the fur colors are so beautifully done. What type of yarns do you knit with? Love the effect on the dog, though I could never knit like that.

Debbie

Caroline B said...

Hi Debbie - the dog was knitted in Sirdar Snuggly Snowflake, supposedly a yarn for babies but quite fleecy. The cat was knitted in Sirdar Gypsy, a now discontinued line of really soft fluffy eyelash yarn. I have a big bag of dog & cat coloured yarns, all different brands, textures & thicknesses - I buy them whenever I see something that might do.

Magpie Magic said...

The cat picture looks great. Love the emotion you managed to put into it. :-)

Your little cat/dog sets would be perfect for stop motion films. LOL Love the way you made them interact. Not Wallace and Gromit but Eldritch and Curly... Still want Eldritch to sit next to my computer... Can I enter again?

Shame about not getting into the exhibition. I was sure at least the jellyfish picture would be accepted. I love that painting!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Was the jellyfish painting in a metal frame?

Caroline B said...

Hi Anonymous (you don't have to be so formal...)
No, the jellyfish was not in a metal frame (I know they are funny about that at the Mall) but in a wooden frame with pewter effect paintwork. Perhaps no-one looked close enough to check if it was wood! Unfortunately, as it was a last minute decision to submit, I had to make do with what frames were in the shop at the time rather than having one made up especially so the choices were limited. If you have inside knowledge on this, I'd be really grateful to know! Thanks.