Thursday 26 August 2010

A Nice Cup of Tea...


I fell in love with this capelet the minute I saw it on the 'what's coming' page of last month's The Knitter magazine and waited impatiently to get this month's copy in order to start making it. I used the left-over yarn from the holey sweaty, hoping against hope that it would be enough. Unfotunately, it ran out five inches before the end of the neck edge - argh! The only yarn I had that was in any way similar was some cream dish-cloth cotton. So I took a chance...and it looked awful, really stood out against the deep ivory of the correct yarn. But after a strong cup of tea, things looked a lot better - tea for the capelet that is, not for me! I soaked it in a 3 tea-bag mix for an hour and while it is still very noticeable, it doesn't stand out quite so badly. And considering the capelet is supposed to be worn like this.......

...doubled over on itself with buttons on either shoulder, I think I've got away with it! Phew! Once it has finished drying, I can choose some suitable buttons and then we're good to go!

I can thoroughly recommend this pattern - it looks really complicated but once you get into the rhythm of the repeats it is not difficult at all. The little ribbed neck edge brings it all together and is also very simple but effective. Next time, I promise to buy enough yarn!

3 comments:

Soggibottom said...

I can't see the division on here, butas you know where it is to you it would stick out. I love this lacy pattern. Good for bears :-) x x x

Magpie Magic said...

It's a lovely pattern. Shame about the yarn, although, once it's fastened with the buttons you won't notice. Might be worth applying the tea mixture to just the cotton yarn again (maybe even several times) to get the shades closer. xo

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful work on the piece.
I used to do lacework, but haven't done it in years.

Debbie