Sunday 27 February 2011

On Wristwarmers, Unravel, and Unscrupulous People......

Last night I finally finished these complicated wristwarmers knitted in yarn from recycled blue jeans.  I am so pleased with these - the stitch pattern shows up beautifully in the yarn, they fit perfectly and I discovered when I blocked them that they do just what regular jeans do when you wash them - shrink! This is a good thing as there is nothing more annoying than to find your wristwarmers have gotten baggy after a few wearings.

They had their first airing during a dog walk this morning and I can safely say they will replace my beloved Noro wristwarmers nicely.

You can always tell when the Unravel show is in town....
..most of the posts in The Maltings carpark had snug knitted jackets today.  Someone had also been really busy knitting the signs too....
Down by the river, there was a giant yarn spider web.
If you look closely to the right you can see some knitted bugs and flowers too.

They had a bit of a mole problem on the front lawn.  How cute are these?


Even some real sheep minding the door - we weren't allowed to touch them though.

I just loved this knitted hanging basket in the entrance hall.  The tree trunk behind was knitted too.

This was cool!

Inside, there were lots of stalls full of yarn, knitting accessories, spinning, wonderful garments, so much to look at.  Despite that, I was rather conservative in my purchases this year -
It's not that I didn't see loads of yarns that I liked, it's just that I have a very full stash at the moment and plenty of projects lined up so couldn't really justify buying anything just because the colours were pretty!  There were also very few bargains this year - I guess the recession is biting.
The soft brown and white yarns above will no doubt morph into small knitted animals at some point, using the small bamboo needles.  I'm not sure when or how I will use the incredibly fine brown linen - the day I decide to destroy my eyesight forever perhaps!  And no, I don't really plan on knitting pizza, but in this book is the cutest pattern for knitted prawns........

So, we had a really nice morning - such a shame it ended so badly.  I had parked my car in the Waitrose carpark in Farnham and walked down to the show.  When we returned, it was raining so we hurried getting into the car and drove off quickly home.  Upon getting out of my car in Fleet, I discovered that while we were in Unravel, the owner of the very large, black, shiny 4X4 that I had parked next to had seen fit to do this...


...and drive off without bothering to leave a note.  Thank you so much Mr.or Mrs. 4X4, you have to all intents and purposes turned my car into a write-off.  I know it's only a little old Peugeot that has seen better days, but it's all I have got and you thought it OK to smash in it's door and leave without a second thought.  I hope you can sleep tonight - although if you can do this, it has probably already been forgotten.  Lucky you for being wealthy enough to own a big shiny powerful car which probably doesn't even have the smallest scratch after thwacking into mine.  I know that if this cannot be fixed by my very resourceful DH, then it is going to cost me money I can't spare to replace it.  Just as well I didn't buy a lot of yarn........

3 comments:

Sallie said...

Oh, Caroline, I am so sorry about your car! That is just inexcusable. I hope your DH can repair it for you.

Magpie Magic said...

Love, love your denim wrist warmers. They're fabulous. Love all the knitted things on the way to the show too. You were very conservative with your purchases. Wish I'd been there with you! Knitted pizza sounds like a fab idea for playthings for small kids?

So sorry about your car. Check with Waitrose, they might have a CCTV recording of the accident and culprit and you might be able to get some money from the culprit - or at least get him for leaving the accident without informing someone.

xoxo

Jo Sacker said...

That is a horrible thing for someone to do! Have you thought to ask Waitrose for any VT, they may have caught it on camera...worth a shot...