Monday 6 June 2011

Interesting...

This is the tiger painting so far - it's quite pleasing how it is coming along using the Inktense colour blocks as paints rather than as drawing implements.  I love how the ink remains clear and smudge free once it has dried which allows layers of colour to be used over and over again.  I also like how it runs into itself (top right) when used wet on wet.   It's great that it doesn't leave any discernable drying lines - very pleased with the nose which was done in several layers of yellow ochre, orange and shades of red.

It is also forcing me not to be quite so precious with my detail - something I am very guilty of! Whilst I love painting in high detail using tiny brushstrokes, it is excellent to use a looser style once in a while - refreshes the brain and you learn new techniques along the way.
However, in the other side of my creating, tiny detail is order of the day.  These guinea pigs are two inches long, fully jointed and waiting for their hutch.  No wonder I need glasses!

3 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Love your little guineapigs. They look fab. :-)

The tiger already looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. :-) xoxo

Houseelf said...

Cute guineapigs! The tiger pic looks great too.

Sallie said...

Awesome tiger! Guinea pigs are adorable.