Wednesday 6 February 2013

Shells & Snow

As planned, this painting was completed yesterday - when it reaches the point that you are going over the same things again and again, it's time to stop!  I'm quite pleased with this - it doesn't have exactly the misty feel of the reference photographs, but I do feel I have captured that pink morning light through the trees which was the intention.  This was painted in acrylic on canvas board which was first treated with gesso as I hate the texture of canvas! 

The painting will be on sale in my Etsy shop shortly.

A long time ago, over 2 years I think, I got a commission to crochet seaweed...yards and yards of it with shells and various pieces of flotsam and jetsam woven into it.  This was to be used as part of a frame for a mirror.  This week I was kindly sent photos of the completed mirror by the lady who commissioned me, somewhere in the depths of Texas. I think you'll agree it has turned out to be jaw-droppingly beautiful!  She commissioned another artist to make the shell-encrusted frame - a very clever lady!  I wonder how she did it...I'd like one of these in my home too!

Please continue to leave your comments on the previous post if you would like to be entered into the draw for some free watercolour pencils.


2 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

The painting is wonderful and I love the light and the colours. Definitely a triumph! :-) I remember you mentioning the shells and crochet. Turned out well. xoxo

Unknown said...

This is MY mirror and I'm so proud of it. The picture I took and sent to Caroline doesn't do it justice. It has over a thousand shells on it and Caroline's crocheted seaweed, which was beautiful and the artist, Dean Deerfield, said MADE the mirror. I haven't any artistic talent, so I rely on others. The two corners of the mirror are piled deep with shells, pearls, sea glass, floats, and all kinds of things from the sea. It weighs a ton. Thank you Caroline, for your addition to my mirror and the lovely shawls I have made by you. It is a pleasure talking to you, too. I so admire your talent.
From the depths of Texas,
Sincerely,
Jan Wiese