Thursday 4 April 2013

Gardening For The Disabled


A few weeks ago I was contacted by Alan Titchmarsh....well, I am sure it wasn't him personally, but he is supporting a silent auction of drawn/painted postcards by artists and celebrities on behalf of  the charity Gardening for the Disabled.  I was asked if I would consider providing a postcard with a drawing or somesuch to be included in the auction.  Well, after my soapbox speech on here a couple of months ago about random people asking for freebies in the name of charity, I made sure this was a legitimate request before gladly agreeing to take part. My daughter attends a place called Bell's Piece in Farnham twice a week which offers people with special needs a chance to either work in the art studio or take part in the horticultural side out in the extensive grounds.  My daughter wouldn't do gardening if her life depended on it, but I do see plenty of others who thoroughly enjoy it and are made to feel useful and worthwhile, ultimately selling their produce in the shop.

So this charity strikes a chord with me and I hope they do extemely well out of this event.  Here is my contribution, a little watercolour of my sister's dog, Barney.  Let's hope someone likes him enough to place a bid!

1 comment:

Magpie Magic said...

Sweet and a good cause. :-)

xoxox