Sunday 26 January 2014

Slow Progress.....

I've never painted an elephant before - now I am finding out why!  I love how when I paint something, I get to learn so much about it's structure and textures.  When it is an animal, it is amazing how much knowledge you unknowingly absorb as you paint.  Of course I knew what an elephant looks like, but now I am discovering all the nuances of bone structure and those wrinkles!  It is hard work involving a lot of concentration, but so interesting.

I am painting this in watercolour, but perhaps later on will add more texture with some pencil on the top - it's a matter of seeing how it goes first.  I don't plan on adding a background, but I think it will require a little extra 'scenery' once I see how the elephants work out.

The deadline for the David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year competition is 5th February - can I finish it in time?  Maybe....
While I've had a couple of evenings free over the past week, I began a sweet lacy knitted scarf using a pretty aqua wool.  It's been a long time since I knitted lace, and although this is a very simple and straightforward pattern, I'm finding it hard to commit it to memory as yet, so have to knit with the book balanced on the arm of the sofa or on my lap.  I have just received a new list of things to knit for the animated film, so this might  have to take a back seat for a while as I knit the contents of a pub car park.....

Just as a matter of interest, the above yarn smells very 'sheepy', which I don't mind at all.  Does it bother you when a wool smells strongly?  I'm very fastidious about smells around me; however, this is one that I do like but I can appreciate it might not be to everyone's taste.  Discuss.....!

2 comments:

Soggibottom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon Whitley said...

you are so right about seeing animals in a new light when you paint or draw them - you get to see so much more and learn so much about them - I'm wondering about entering myself - I never have before and just dont think my work is anywhere near good enough but if you dont' try you dont know I suppose!