Monday 6 October 2014

Eight-Legged Freak

When I saw this pattern in the current Knitty pattern collection, I had to make it!  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, so didn't buy the wool specified but instead found something vaguely similar in our local shops.
I didn't realise quite what a large undertaking this would be - it was about ten days worth of solid knitting every evening - not difficult, just a lot of it as the octopus is life-size.
One evening was spent just sewing it together and stuffing it - each leg had to be stuffed as it was sewn in small increments.  I've been dreaming about this, and woken to be very disappointed that it wasn't finished!

My favourite part, if I had to choose, is the way the eye is made - red is a difficult colour to photograph under electric light, but you can see how lifelike it is.  This is a technique I can see me using in the future for other projects.

I think I am now suffering from a case of RSI so need to give the knitting a rest for a few days - not to worry, there are plenty of other ideas swimming round in my head!


1 comment:

Sue Doran said...

Wowee, that is HUGE! I've been toying with the idea of making some egg cups in an octopus shape, they'd have (of necessity) to be a bit smaller than this monster but (s)he is absolutely wonderful!