Tuesday 7 April 2015

Zebras!

It was with a tinge of regret that I completed this yesterday - when a painting is going well and I'm totally involved in it, it is always sad to add that final brushstroke.  However, I am pleased with the result.  It's been a very long time since I attempted something this challenging and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

This was painted on smooth watercolour paper, using White Knights watercolour paints - these are very intensely pigmented watercolours.  I found them a bit intimidating initially, but once I had got used to not picking up lots of paint on my brush to begin with, I really like them.  I have used a very limited palette - Payne's grey, cerulean, and a terracotta.  I used a touch of black here and there, to darken the eyes or add a bit of depth to a forelock.
The top photograph is taken indoors with a flash, the bottom photo taken outside in the sun.  If you can mentally combine the two you will get an idea of the true colours - my camera just fails me sometimes!

This painting is now for sale in my Etsy shop.

No comments: